How was I selected for jury duty?

The Administrative Office of the Pennsylvania Courts provides each county with a county-specific list of potential jurors. The AOPC has received information from the Departments of Human Services, Transportation, Revenue, and State. Names are then chosen randomly from the list provided. Once you are selected for jury duty, your summons card is mailed to you. It is required that you respond to the summons within 7 days. The questionnaire establishes your eligibility to serve as a juror.

What is an E-911 address?

An E-911 address is a site specific, locatable address. An E-911 address is assigned using a mileage measurement, accurate to 1/100th of a mile, to driveway on a named road. A 911 National Emergency Number Association (NENA) standardized measuring system standard is used. Measurements start at the south or west end of a through road. Driveways on the left side of the road are given even numbers and driveways on the right side of the road are given odd numbers, when possible.

People placing 911 emergency calls often have difficulty providing their addresses. Children, visitors, hearing or speech impaired callers, or callers in a life threatening situation, may not be able to provide address information to dispatchers. E-911 automatically gives the dispatchers the address, allowing them to send the appropriate fire, medical personnel, or law enforcement, even if the caller is unable to communicate.

What kinds of documents are filed by the Recorder of Deeds? Just deeds?

The Recorder of Deeds Office is the repository for documents primarily relating to real estate located in Luzerne County. The Recorder of Deeds Office records and maintains many kinds of legal documents, in addition to deeds. 

The office records and keeps copies of land records including deeds, mortgages, mortgage assignments, mortgage releases, and mortgage satisfactions. We also record miscellaneous deeds and mortgages, leases, sales agreements, maps, easements, right of ways, and other assorted property-related documents. In addition to real estate documents, we record notary public commissions, bonds and commissions for elected officials, powers of attorney, court orders, affidavits, military discharges (DD-214), Uniform Commercial Code filings, and charter documents.

How do I obtain a certified marriage license?

A certified marriage license can be obtained either in person at the office or by mail request at:
200 N River Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711

There is a $25 fee made payable to the “Register of Wills” for a certified marriage license. Please provide the full name of the groom and the full name of the bride at the time applying for the license (include maiden name), as well as, the date of the marriage. If making a request by mail, include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the certification.

What is Luzerne County's "Home Rule Charter"?

The Home Rule Charter establishes sweeping and necessary reforms to our broken system of county government. The Charter minimizes the role of damaging political influences in day-to-day county decision-making, establishes a professional and modernized government to handle county affairs, limits annual increases in real estate tax revenues, and fixes serious inefficiencies in the organization and operation of county government. The Charter also creates expanded opportunities for citizens to participate in county government, provides for greater representation, and prevents the entrenchment of a political class.

Learn more by visiting our Home Rule Transition page.

Can we have our wedding at the Courthouse?

Weddings at the Courthouse

Yes you can!

Ceremonies are limited to the Courthouse Rotunda only. The rotunda is a spectacular, soaring area. The central arch of the rotunda and the staircases descending to it are a beautiful setting for the ceremony. Pictures are allowed inside the Courthouse, and the Courthouse grounds are open to the public for photos.

More information and forms

How do I know I have a court hearing?

Please refer to any official paperwork you have received, contact your attorney, or contact Court Administration at 570-825-1500.