How do I start a custody action?

It is recommended that you retain counsel to represent you in a custody action.  An attorney is a valuable resource in navigating complex family law.

If you choose to represent yourself, a Complaint for Custody is available on the Pro Se Custody page.  Please note that self-represented (pro se) litigants are held to the same standards as attorneys admitted to the bar of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Representing yourself does not exempt you from understanding and following statewide and local Rules of Court.

Show All Answers

1. How do I start a custody action?
2. How do I modify a custody action?
3. When are Family Court Motions?
4. How do I request a continuance of my custody-related matter?
5. How do I obtain a copy of my existing custody order?
6. How do I request information about an adoption that took place in Luzerne County?
7. May I speak to the Judge or Hearing Officer presiding over my case?
8. Should I bring my children to court?
9. What Court staff is available to help me with my legal issue?
10. How do I obtain a transcript of my court proceeding?
11. Is divorce paperwork available to self-represented litigants?