Click the link above to go to the application
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PUBLIC DEFENDER
(18 years of age and older)
1. The application must be completely filled out. It can not be mailed or faxed into the office unless it is from a prison or a detention facility.
2. The applications will only be accepted between 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Public Defender’s Office
3. If you are incarcerated, you MUST provide your home
address, not the prison.
4. The application MUST be signed where indicated. Your
application will not be accepted unless it is completed and signed.
5. An applicant is eligible for Public Defender
representation if, and only if, he or she is indigent and as a result, cannot
afford to hire an attorney to represent him or her. Indigency is determined by
a number of factors, including, but not limited to, income, assets and
liabilities, nature of charges, and federal poverty guidelines.
6. As part of the application process, all applicants shall be required to submit the following information:
* Driver’s License or Photo Identification
* Criminal Complaint and Affidavit
* Prior years Federal Income Tax Return
* Pay stubs for last three weeks
* Current social security or unemployment
* Current welfare statements (food stamp or
* Property tax for any and all property owned
* Balance of mortgage on property
* Car payment bill
* If married, Federal Income tax for spouse
* Letter stating financial support for those
stating no income and a copy of the photo ID from the person providing
* Current financial information as requested
*If financial information cannot be provided,
you must provide a reason for your inability to provide this information.
application for Public Defender shall be approved unless and until the
requested financial information is provided.
8. The Public Defender shall re-examine eligibility as
9. If there are any changes in your financial
circumstances, you are obligated to notify the Public Defender’s Office
immediately. Failure to do so can result in termination of Public Defender