Who can establish paternity for a child born outside of a marriage?

Paternity for a child born outside of a marriage can be established by the following people:

  • The custodial parent
  • A guardian on behalf of a minor child, providing the mother is willing to cooperate if genetic testing is ordered
  • An agency which has an interest in the support of a child

Note: Paternity must be established before a child's 18th birthday. It is not uncommon for an action to be filed to establish paternity years after a child's birth.

Show All Answers

1. Who can establish paternity for a child born outside of a marriage?
2. Do I need an attorney to establish paternity?
3. What do I have to sign if I know I am the biological father of my child?
4. What should I do if paternity is questioned?
5. What is genetic testing all about?
6. Who does the genetic tests?
7. How can the testing be completed if the mother and alleged father do not live in the same locality?
8. What happens if the alleged father is in prison?
9. How old must the child be to have genetic testing done?
10. How long does it take for the results to be returned?
11. When will I know the results of the paternity test?
12. What is the cost of genetic testing? Who pays for genetic tests?
13. What should I do if the Defendant is excluded as the father of my child?
14. Why does the mother have to be tested?
15. Why should paternity be established through the Courts?
16. If I signed a birth certificate, why do I have to sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity?
17. What would happen if I refused to submit to genetic testing?