Appointment of Guardian and Required Reports
- File a Petition for Guardianship with the Clerk of Orphans' Court. It is recommended the petitioner seek legal counsel for preparation of legal documents. See fee schedule for filing fees.
- Orphans' Court appoints Guardian of the Person; Guardian of the Estate or Guardian of the Person and Estate by Final Decree.
- Guardian is to file an Inventory of the Incapacitated Person's assets with the Clerk of the Orphans' Court within 90 days of the Final Decree.
- Guardian files Annual Report of Person; Annual Report of Estate, or both with the Clerk of the Orphans' Court within one year of appointment.
- Annual Reports of Person; Estate or both are required to be filed every year thereafter until the guardianship is no longer required or the incapacitated person has passed away.
- Guardian is required to file a Final Report of Person/Estate when the incapacitated person passes away or the guardian is no longer necessary. Be sure to check the appropriate box on the form to indicate that this is a Final Report.
- The Inventory and all annual reports can be filed in the Register of Wills/Clerk of the Orphans' Court Office. There is a fee for filing both the Inventory and Annual Report of the Estate with the Office.
- FILING REPORTS ELECTRONICALLY:
- All Reports can now be filed for free if filed electronically.
- You must first complete the registration process at ujsportal.pacourts.us/Register.aspx. (See GTS Instructions under helpful hints)
- As part of this registration add a 'Role' to your account called "Guardian/Interested Party".
- Once Registration is complete make sure to note your username and password.
- You can then use your username and password to login to ujsportal.pacourts.us/Login.aspx.
- Here you will have a menu option called "Guardianship" where you can access your case with the appropriate access code.
Helpful Information for Guardians: