- Register of Wills
- Marriage Licenses
Marriage Licenses can now be done in person or by Skype or appointment. When appearing in person you must be in the office by 4:00 if you already submitted the application online or 3:30 if filling out the application in the office. See requirements to obtain a marriage license below.
If requesting a SKYPE appointment or applying for an in person appointment please follow the directions by clicking below.
CLICK BELOW FOR SKYPE/APPOINTMENT PROCESS:
MARRIAGE APPLICATION PROCESS SKYPE
Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License
THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO A CERTIFIED MARRIAGE LICENSE BUT IS APPLICATION TO GET MARRIED
*See below for Certified Marriage License
To expedite the marriage license process, please view the Marriage License Application, enter all information, print the confirmation email and bring it with you to the Register of Wills Office.
- Both applicants for a marriage license must appear together with a driver’s license or state issued photo identification
- A social security number is required by law if the applicant has one
- Both parties must be aged 18 or over.
- There is a (3) day waiting period before the license is issued and the license is good for (60) days from the date of issue.
- The license is only valid in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- The fee to obtain a marriage license is $50 cash; money order (less than 9 months old) or cashiers check from bank.
- If one or both of the parties were married before proof must be provided of how the prior marriage was dissolved:
- Date of death or a copy of the final divorce decree
- If filling out the application on line, please bring the number provided, after the application is complete, with you to the office when you come in to sign the application.
- Applicants must be in the office by 4:00 PM to complete the paperwork to obtain a marriage license application completed online and 3:30 P.M. if filling out application in the office.
- The office is located on the first floor of the Courthouse Annex on the corner of Jackson and River Streets. The physical address is 153 N. River Street, Wilkes-Barre, 18711. Parking can be accessed off Jackson Street on the lower level of the parking lot.
- IF YOU DO NOT SPEAK OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH PLEASE BRING SOMEONE WITH YOU WHO CAN HELP.
Inmate Marriage Application Process
* TO OBTAIN A CERTIFIED MARRIAGE LICENSE:
KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU CAN APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE IN ANY PENNSYLVANIA COUNTY AND STILL HAVE A MARRIAGE CEREMONY IN LUZERNE COUNTY.
CERTIFIED MARRIAGE LICENSE: (After you have already been married)
- This can be obtained in person or by mail.
- Must have name of groom; bride’s maiden name (name applied under) and date of marriage or approximate date.
- Fee is $25.00 cash, cashier's check or money order. Cashier's checks/money orders are made payable to Register of Wills.
- If you do not know the date or approximate date of the marriage, there is a $30.00 search fee per marriage.
- If applying by mail please enclose self-addressed, stamped envelope. Mail your request to Register of Wills, 200 North River Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711.
- Click here for Certified Marriage Request Form to submit by mail. Print and fill in form. Include form with your check/money order and return envelope..