CLICK BELOW FOR COVID-19 PROCESS:
Requirements to Obtain a Marriage License
THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO A CERTIFIED MARRIAGE LICENSE BUT IS APPLICATION TO GET MARRIED
*See below for Certified Marriage License
To expedite the marriage license process, please view the Marriage License Application, enter all information, print the confirmation email and bring it with you to the Register of Wills Office.
- Both applicants for a marriage license must appear together with a driver’s license or state issued photo identification
- A social security number is required by law if the applicant has one
- Both parties should be aged 18 or over (if either applicant is under age 18, a court order is required)
- There is a (3) day waiting period before the license is issued and the license is good for (60) days from the date of issue
- If you would prefer to have your license mailed, please provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope at the time of application
- The license is only valid in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- The fee to obtain a marriage license is $50 cash only.
- If one or both of the parties were married before proof must be provided of how the prior marriage was dissolved:
- Date of death or a copy of the final divorce decree
- If filling out the application on line, please bring the number provided, after the application is complete, with you to the office when you come in to sign the application.
- Applicants must be in the office by 4:00 PM to complete the paperwork to obtain a marriage license.
* TO OBTAIN A CERTIFIED MARRIAGE LICENSE:
- This can be obtained in person or by mail.
- Must have name of groom; bride’s maiden name (name applied under) and date of marriage or approximate date.
- Fee is $25.00 cash, check or money order. Checks are made payable to Register of Wills.
- If applying by mail please enclose self-addressed, stamped envelope. Mail your request to Register of Wills, 200 North River Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711.