Register of Wills/Clerk of the Orphans Court
COVID-19 MARRIAGE LICENSES
The Register of Wills Office is responsible for the probating of wills, appointment of a representative and issuing of short certificates to handle a decedent’s estate, acceptance of inheritance tax payments, and all other documents related to a decedent’s estate.
The Clerk of the Orphans’ Court is the filing office for petitions before the Orphans’ Court including but not limited to guardianships, adoptions, and the issuing of marriage licenses.
The public can access Register of Wills and most Clerk of Orphans’ Court Records filed from 2004 to present and obtain copies for general use or certified copies to meet specific needs at the public terminals in the office Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:30 PM or through two websites:
- Landex Remote: Here the customer sets up an account and then uses the money to draw down for complete access to the records and copies.
- Landex Webstore: Here the customer has free access to the indices but is charged a fee to download a document for viewing and / or printing.
- Records prior to 2004 must be accessed through the office. Please call 570-825-1641 for information.
- Certified copies must be obtained through the office. Please call 570-825-1641 for information.
- Adoption Records are not available to the public. For questions regarding adoptions please call 570-822-0764. All requests for data on adoptions granted in Luzerne County must be made in writing to the address below:
Act 101 Coordinator
Luzerne County Courthouse
Bernard C. Brominski Building
113 West North Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
Please provide as many details as possible, such as full name at birth, birth date, adoption date (or approximate time period) and full name following adoption.
- Guardianship records, except the Final Decree and Docket, filed after January 6, 2018 are only available to the interested parties in the case.
- Orphans’ Court records, with the exception of marriage licenses, filed after January 6, 2018 are not accessible remotely, only in the office.
- Accounts and Audits Schedule 2019
- Accounts and Audits Schedule 2020
- Certificate of Notice 1-1-20
- Fees to Open Estate
- GTS Instructions
- Guardian Annual Report of Estate 7-18
- Guardian Annual Report of Person 7-18
- Guardian Checklist
- Guardian Inventory 7-18
- Guardian Inventory for Minor 7-18
- Guardians Key Points
- Guardianship Expert Report
- Guardianship Notice of Filing
- Inventory 1-1-20
- Notice of Estate Administration 1-1-20
- Oath of Non-Subscribing Witness 1-1-20
- Oath of Subscribing Witness 1-1-20
- Orphans Court Rules June 2019 Full copy
- Petition for Grant of Letters Estates (PDF)
- Register of Wills-Orphans Court Fee corrected 1-14-19
- Renunciation 1-1-20
- Status Report 1-1-20