** License to Carry Permit - UPDATE 07/20/2020**
As of Monday May 11th, 2020 the Luzerne County Sheriff’s Department has been accepting applications to carry firearms from Luzerne County residents. Applications can be dropped off between the hours of 8:00AM and 4:00 PM, at the Luzerne County Courthouse 200 North River Street Wilkes-Barre PA 18711 (THERE ARE NO WALK-IN APPLICATIONS BEING ACCEPTED.) The following items shall be placed in an envelope, sealed, and deposited into the application drop off box:
- Fully completed License to Carry Firearms application (applications available at: https://www.luzernecounty.org/553/Licensing-Division)
- A contact phone number at which we may leave a message regarding your license.
- Copy of your current and valid driver’s license or photo identification card issued by the Pennsylvania
- Department of Transportation, which bears the same address as, noted on your application
- A money order or certified bank check (NO personal checks) in the amount of $20.00, made payable to the Sheriff of Luzerne County.
- Applicants will be contacted within 45 calendar days with a date and time to appear in person to have their photograph and electronic signature recorded and have their permit issued to them.
- *If you are a Non-United States Citizen, you are also required to provide a copy of the following in addition to the items listed above.
- Resident Alien Card
- 3 Consecutive months (most current) of the same utility bill (water, natural gas, electric) with address matching official identification.
- Out of State Permits are not being issued at this time.
- FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE REQUIRED ITEMS WILL RESULT IN YOUR APPLICATION BEING RETURNED TO YOU.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPOINTMENTS:
Individuals that have submitted, applications for a License to Carry Concealed, and have been approved to complete the process and receive their permit. The Sheriff’s Staff will call the number provided by the applicant and you will be assigned a time slot. If there is not an answer, a message will be left and you will need to call before the close of business on that day to be scheduled in the next available appointment. If you do not answer and return the call, or are unable to make the scheduled appointment, you will be contacted at a later date as appointments become available.
To complete the process, approved applicants with appointments will report to the Luzerne County Records Retention Facility located at 85 Young St. Hanover Twp., Pa 18706 at their scheduled time. Upon arrival you will remain in your vehicle and call the number provided to you. You will receive further instruction at that time. You will need to bring your valid Photo ID (or equivalent). Bring nothing but your ID and car keys into the building with you. Please note that you will be denied entry you are not wearing a mask, if you have traveled outside of the county (and certain states) recently, are exhibiting any signs and symptoms of COVID-19, or have come into contact with anyone who has been confirmed to have COVID-19.
More information and links to applications can be found by clicking this link: LCSD Licensing Division Page
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS SEND AN EMAIL TO: LCSDPermits@luzernecounty.org
APRIL 27, 2020
BY EMERGENCY ORDER OF THE LUZERNE COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, THE SHERIFF SALES SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 5, 2020 AND AUGUST 7, 2020 HAVE BEEN CONTINUED GENERALLY, A NEW SALE DATE WILL BE SET WHEN THE COURTS BECOME AVAILABLE AFTER THE COVID-19 EMERGENCY. WHEN SET, THE DATE WILL BE ADVERTISED FOR TWO WEEKS, THE SALE WILL THEN BE HELD ON THE WEEK FOLLOWING THE ADVERTISING.
April 1, 2020
**GOVERNOR WOLF GRANTS EXTENSION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY PERMITS**
MARCH 24, 2020
BY EMERGENCY ORDER OF THE LUZERNE COUNTY COURT OF COMMON PLEAS, THE SHERIFF SALE SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 3, 2020 HAS BEEN CONTINUED GENERALLY. A NEW SALE DATE WILL BE SET WHEN THE COURTS BECOME AVAILABLE AFTER THE COVID-19 EMERGENCY. WHEN SET, THE DATE WILL BE ADVERTISED FOR TWO WEEKS, THE SALE WILL THEN BE HELD ON THE WEEK FOLLOWING THE ADVERTISING.
↓Continue Scrolling Down for Normal Page Content↓
The Sheriff's Office offers fingerprinting services by appointment for a fee.
View and download Sheriff's Department forms and documents such as Service Request Forms and Firearm License Applications.
The Licensing Division handles licensing for firearms and precious metals in Luzerne County.
The PFA Division of the Luzerne County Sheriff's Department is responsible for the timely service of Protection from Abuse Orders.
Properties sold for mortgage and judgment defaults are processed through the Sheriff's Office. Find out how to purchase this property.
The Warrants Division of the Luzerne County Sheriff’s Department was established to effect arrests of individuals who have had a bench warrant issued for their arrest by the court system of Luzerne County. Individuals have been arrested and jailed by this agency for crimes ranging from retail theft, drug possession, aggravated assault, DUI and rape.