Pro se Custody Filing
- Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in the Family Court Filing Office on the third floor of the Brominski Building.
- Petitions for Custody and Modifications of a Custody Order can be processed.
- The fee for filing a Petition for Custody is currently $172.00. Payable to the Prothonotary’s Office, fees can be paid using cash, money orders, and credit cards - no personal checks. There are no fees when filing for modification.
- A copy of the existing Court Order must accompany all Modification petitions. Copies of existing Custody Orders may be obtained by visiting the Prothonotary’s Office on the second floor of the Main Courthouse.
- All biological parents must be named and served in a custody action unless they are deceased or their rights have been formally terminated by the Court.
- Grandparents and relatives do not necessarily have rights identical to those of a biological parent in custody matters. Grandparents and other family members filing on a pro se basis should research their rights or consult an attorney prior to initiating a custody action.
- Children should not be brought to the Courthouse for pro se custody filing.
- Additional forms and information may be available on the Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania website.