Luzerne County Council
LUZERNE COUNTY COUNCIL VACANCY PUBLIC NOTICE
Luzerne County is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Luzerne County Council Member. The candidate selected for this position shall serve through January 06, 2020. The salary shall be prorated based on $8,000.00 per year.
POWERS AND DUTIES OF COUNTY COUNCIL:
As outlined in the Luzerne County Home Rule Charter Article II, Section 2.09.
All candidates must have the following qualifications:
1. The candidate must be over the age of eighteen (18);
2. The candidate must be a registered voter in Luzerne County;
3. The candidate must have been a resident of the County continuously for at least one year immediately preceding the date of this potential appointment;
4. The candidate must be a Republican and have been a Republican continuously from November 03, 2015 through the present;
5. The candidate cannot have been convicted of a Felony offense;
6. If selected, the candidate could not hold any other elective public office or public employment, serve as a member of any County authority, board, or commission except as may be specifically be provided for in the Luzerne County Charter or applicable law, be employed or compensated by any individual or business serving as a contractor to the County or any County authority, board or commission, or serve as a paid consultant for the County or any County authority board or commission;
7. As part of the application process, the candidate shall complete and submit a Statement of Financial Interests which will be a public document. Forms are available on the Pennsylvania State Ethics Commission website.
8. NOTICE - Luzerne County will be reviewing public information to verify eligibility.
All candidates who would like to be considered must provide a cover letter and resume to the Clerk of County Council either by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Sharon Lawrence Clerk of County Council, 200 N. River Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
All documents must be received by 4:30PM on Friday, August 02, 2019. All documents provided to the Clerk of County Council for consideration for this position shall become public record and may be disclosed to the public.
As per Luzerne County Home Rule Charter, the ability to fill this position is in the power of the Luzerne County Council. As part of the application process, all applicants must complete and submit a Statement of Financial Interests which will be a public document. As such, any and all discussions and/or interviews for this position shall be held at a publicized public meeting.
Interviews are expected to be held on Monday, August 05, 2019 and Tuesday, August 06, 2019 starting at 6:00PM each evening. Other days and times may be scheduled if needed. It is anticipated that the final vote for the appointment of this position will be at the regularly scheduled public Luzerne County Council meeting held on Tuesday, August 13, 2019. The selected individual must execute an Oath or Affirmation of Fidelity to the Luzerne County Charter, the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the United States of America within five (5) days.
County Council Meetings
- 6:01 p.m.
- 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month
- 200 N River Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
Meeting Agendas, Minutes and Audios
- Meeting Agendas are available prior to the meetings.
- Meeting Audios are available following meetings.
- Meeting Minutes are available upon Council approval.
The Luzerne County Council consists of eleven elected officials. The Council serves as the Legislative body of Luzerne County.
Jane Walsh WaitkusVice-Chair
Harry HaasCouncil Member
Linda McClosky HouckCouncil Member
Chris PerryCouncil Member
Sheila Saidman, Esq.Council Member
Robert SchneeCouncil Member
Stephen A. UrbanCouncil Member