An excerpt from “The Luzerne County Court House,” The American Architect, September 15, 1909:
The plan of the building is cruciform, the length of each axis being 200 feet. The rotunda at the intersection of the axis is 53 by 53 feet, and terminates vertically with the dome, the base of which is 100 feet above the first floor. The various offices and court rooms open off the corridor and gallery encircling the rotunda.
The foundations are of concrete, the exterior walls of Ohio sandstone, the floors, roofs and domes are of reinforced concrete, and the roof coverings of terra-cotta. With the exception of the dome, the tiles are nailed to porous brick set in the concrete roofs.