- Human Services
- Caregiver Support Program
Caregiver Support Program
Are You Currently Caring for a Loved One?
The Caregiver Support Program is a unique service designed for caregivers to provide relief from normal caregiving duties and to reduce stress. The caregiver may choose the type of service needed and be reimbursed through state and federal funding. Examples of services would be personal care, companionship, or day care. If the caregiver needs time for vacation, hospitalization or special emergencies, the benefit may be accumulated over a 6 month period and be used for extended respite.
The Caregiver Support Program may also reimburse the caregiver up to $500 each month for the purchase of supplies used in caring for the care receiver. The list of supplies includes incontinency products, nutritional supplements, over the counter medication, and numerous other items.
In addition to reimbursement for services and supplies, there is a lifetime benefit of up to $2,000 for home modifications and assistive devices. For example, the caregiver may have a bathroom installed on the first floor, a ramp for wheelchair or handicap access, or a stair glide from the first floor to the second floor for the use of the care receiver. The cost of lift chairs, tub seats, and grab bars may also be reimbursed.
In a Caregiver Support Group Meeting You Can:
- Borrow books, articles, and videos on caregiving issues.
- Enjoy the company of other caregivers at the various social activities that are planned throughout the year.
- Express your concerns and feelings and find other caregivers who are in similar situations.
- Learn about community resources and where to seek additional help.
- Spend a few hours away from your caregiving responsibilities in a relaxed and caring atmosphere.
Come Join Us!
Group meetings monthly; call for dates and times.
How to Apply for the Caregiver Support Program
Please contact the Intake Department of the Area Agency on Aging for Luzerne / Wyoming Counties at 570-822-1158 or 800-252-1512.