Recycling Office Home Page
Recycling Office of Luzerne County Mission Statement
To ensure the delivery of an integrated, cost-effective, and environmentally sound solid waste management system, and to promote through assistance and education, sustainable community programs and policies throughout Luzerne County.
The Recycling Office is still fulfilling the mission of the department and will be available daily for answers to questions, please call 1-800-821-7654.
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection is asking residents to, if possible, store only clean commingled items until the health crisis subsides and services can be resorted to normal. If this is not possible, residents can put the items in with their normal, weekly household trash collection. Traditional/normal recycling is expected to resume once this health issue is deemed to be over.
Residents that live in a town that recycles are urged to please contact your local officials at the town hall with additional questions on your recycling program.
Schedule pickup of your old fridge and get $35.
We want to make it easy for you to properly dispose of your old appliance—and we'll pay you to do it! Schedule online for a FREE pickup of your refrigerator or freezer. Then we’ll mail you a check for $35.
Starting June 1, 2021, we offer two options to schedule an appliance recycling appointment. At the time of scheduling your appointment, you can either select an in-home pick-up or a curbside pick-up. If you select an in-home pick-up, the crew picking up your appliance will follow CDC guidance and wear mask and gloves to remove your appliance. If it is safe for you to do so and you prefer a curbside pick-up, you can move your appliance outside, and we will pick it up.
- SCHEDULE A PICK UP
- BONUS! Do you have an old room air conditioner or dehumidifier? We'll pick it up at the same time as your fridge or freezer and give you another $10 rebate.
- To qualify for PPL’s Appliance Recycling Program, your refrigerator or freezer must be in working condition to align with the program goal of removing inefficient electric load from the grid.
- The refrigerator or freezer must be clean, empty, and defrosted.
- The refrigerator or freezer must be between 10 and 30 cubic feet in size.
- You must have an active electric account with PPL Electric Utilities at the address where you would like us to pick up the refrigerator/freezer.
APPLIANCE PICK UP DETAILS:
- For in-home pickup, a signed release note must be completed and handed to the removal team before they remove the appliance from your home.
- For curbside pickup, a release form or note must be attached to each unit that is recycled.
- You must provide clear and safe access to your appliances for the removal team. They will not risk injury or be able to move personal effects or modify your home ( e.g. remove door or railings) in order to remove the unit (s).
- Side-by-side refrigerators are considered one appliance and eligible for one rebate.
- SCHEDULE A PICK UP