Like most of our smaller American Communities, Sugar Notch played an early part in the history of Wyoming Valley. At one time Sugar Notch was originally a part of Hanover Township. Sugar Notch was incorporated into a borough on April 3, 1867. George Parrish was the first burgess. In 1869, the Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroads were built carrying passengers, freight and coal through Sugar to distant markets. As a result, mines were opened, No. 9 and No. 10. In 1870, there were 724 residents; by the year 1880, the population of the town was 1,560. As a result more people settled in the area. The mines closed around 1950.
The main attraction in Sugar Notch is the Roosevelt Memorial, dedicated in 1946, with Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt and Congressman Dan Flood.
The borough building was a 3-story frame, built in 1897 and later was destroyed by fire. The present location was built on August 2, 1921. It is a brick building.
Holy Family Church celebrated their Centennial on September 14, 2003, and St. Charles Borromeo, their 125th on August 8, 2004.
|Address ||Sugar Notch Borough |
Corner Main and Freed Streets
Sugar Notch, PA 18706-2003
|Phone ||570-822-9282 |
|Fax ||570-822-6293 |
|Website ||N/A |
|E-mail ||N/A |
|Population ||1,040 |
|Square Miles ||1 |
|Name of Mayor ||William Davis |
|Congressional District ||11th |
|Legislative District ||119th |
|Type of Government ||Mayor and Seven Councilmen |
|School District ||Hanover Area |
|Public Library ||N/A |
|Range of Housing Costs ||N/A |
|Property Tax Rate ||25 mills |
|Cable ||Service Electric Cable Vision |
|Gas ||PG Energy |
|Electric ||UGI Electric |
|Water ||Pennsylvania-American Water Co. |