Plains Township was formed on November 10, 1851. Located between Wilkes-Barre and Pittston, it covers an area of thirteen square miles. On December 7, 1899 it became a First Class Township.
A five-member Board of Commissioners governs Plains Township. The Commissioners serve as liaisons between the people of Plains Township and the County, State and Federal Governments. Some of their responsibilities include making appropriations, adopting a budget, levying taxes and adopting ordinances and resolutions to make rules and regulations. They also supervise the appointment, suspension or removal of all Township employees.
The Town Hall Building, located at 126 N. Main Street, houses the Administrative and Zoning Office, the Tax Office, Police and Fire Departments and the Plains Branch of the Osterhout Library.
A second Municipal Building is located at 50 Second Street in the Fox Hill Section. The building is utilized for public meetings and is occupied by additional Police and Fire Personnel and Fire apparatus and the Department of Public Works. Currently the Sewer Authority of the Township of Plains maintains an office and the Luzerne County Bureau of Aging operates a Senior Citizen Center in this building.
126 N. Main Street, Plains, PA 18705
|Name of Mayor||N/A|
|Type of Government||Board of Commissioners|
|School District||Wilkes-Barre Area|
|Public Library||Osterhout Phone: 570-824-1862|
|Range of Housing Costs||$35,000 to $350,000|
|Property Tax Rate||Twp. – 35 mills/County – 94.9 mills/School 26.9 mills|
|Electric||PPL Utilities, Inc.|
|Water||Pennsylvania-American Water Company|
|Waste Removal||By Municipal Employees|