Once known as Blindtown, the borough was renamed in 1895 to Larksville by Mrs. Rachel Pace in honor of her ancestor Peggy Lark, who had owned the village site and died at the reputed age of 106. Besides Blindtown, Larksville was at one time called Sawmilltown and Babylon because of the many languages that were spoken by the people who inhabited the town.
The industry of the borough was mainly coal mining, with the progress that normally comes to a steadily operated mining property. Larksville was incorporated as a borough on November 10, 1909, previously a part of Plymouth Township.
Larksville Borough is located close to the center of Luzerne County adjacent to the northwestern bank of the Susquehanna River. The northern boundary of Larksville begins at a group of walnut trees on the riverbank of the Susquehanna and runs 30 degrees west. Surrounding the borough are the towns of Courtdale, Plymouth Borough, Edwardsville, and Jackson Township.
Larksville contains 4.73 miles and is the largest borough of the West Side Regional Area, which includes Courtdale, Edwardsville, Forty Fort, Luzerne, Plymouth, Pringle and Swoyersville. It is also one of the largest boroughs in the state.
211 East State Street, Larksville, PA 18704
|Name of Mayor||Robert Robine|
|Type of Government||Mayor and Council (7 member board)|
|School||Wyoming Valley West|
|Range of Housing Costs||$20,000 to $300,000|
|Property Tax Rate||43 mills|
|Water||Pennsylvania-American Water Company|
|Waste Removal||J.P. Mascaro & Sons|