Once known as Bloomingdale Township, but renamed in 1799 in honor of Samuel Huntington, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Huntington Township was one of the 17 “Certified townships” laid out by the Susquehannah Company in 1799. Formed from a portion of Salem Township in 1793, Huntington Township was one of the richest agricultural areas in Luzerne County, and most people who settled there were farmers.
Settlers here felt a real threat of violence from the Indians and many fled their homes. Wild animals, including bears, panthers and wolves also posed a serious threat to people and livestock. As the population grew and became less wild, many mills and independent craftsmen moved into the area, beginning with Timothy Hopkins' log gristmill in 1788, followed by Epenetus Wadsworth, the first blacksmith in 1794, and the first flour mill in 1795. Several more mills were built by the turn of the century and Huntington Township became known for its excellent flour.
Stages traveled daily on the old turnpike road, which ran from Berwick to Towanda between 1812 and 1840. Beginning in 1852 the Lackawanna and Bloomsburg Railroad, running from Scranton to Bloomsburg, became the main thoroughfare for trade and travel.
The large number of schoolhouses built by the mid-nineteenth century gave children in Huntington Township an advantage over children from other areas. Early on, the schoolhouses also served as meetinghouses and places of worship for the community.
|Address ||Huntington Township |
815 Municipal Road, Shickshinny, PA 18655
|Phone ||570-864-2303 |
|Fax ||570-864-0815 |
|Website ||N/A |
|E-mail ||firstname.lastname@example.org |
|Population ||2,200 |
|Square Miles ||45 |
|Name of Supervisors ||Ralph Harvey |
|Congressional District; 11th || |
|Legislative District ||117th |
|Type of Government ||Township Committee |
|School District ||Northwest Area |
|Public Library ||N/A |
|Range of Housing Costs ||$60,000 to $204,000 |
|Property Tax Rate ||8 mills |
|Cable ||Adelphia Cable |
|Gas/Electric ||UGI Utilities Phone: 800-962-1212 |
|Water ||Wells (Landowners) |
|Waste Removal ||Sand mounds (Landowners) |