Conyngham Borough was incorporated in 1901. Prior to this, it was known as Venison Market. The Lehigh-Susquehanna Turnpike traveled through the middle of modern-day Main Street in Conyngham and at least one of the tollgates was situated near the village. Early records indicate that in 1815, Redmond Conyngham served a term in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, representing Luzerne County, and in 1820 served a term in the State Senate.
Captain Gustavus Conyngham was a cousin of Redmond Conyngham. He was an unsung hero of the Revolution. He commanded a privateer and was the first to carry the American flag into the English Channel. Captain Conyngham frequently made trips to England to “obtain” military supplies, which were much needed by the colonials who were fighting for independence from their mother country.
If effect, Conyngham Village was named in honor of Captain Conyngham. As the story has been told, the townspeople suggested naming the village after Redmond Conyngham, but he replied that the town should be named in honor of his cousin, Gustavus. As so it was.
The Sugarloaf Massacre of September 11, 1780 was one of a series of bloody engagements fought in the frontier of northeastern Pennsylvania between Iroquois and settlers loyal to the cause of American independence. Today, this event is commemorated by a Historic Monument with a bronze plaque bearing the names of the fifteen men who lost their lives during the massacre. A mere “stone's throw” from Main Street in Conyngham, the men who made the supreme sacrifice for our country sleep for eternity beneath the field where they fell two hundred and twenty-three years ago. The “bloodstained field” by the Little Nescopeck Creek is hallowed ground.
The “bedroom” community is only one square mile and has a population of 1,956. The mostly residential borough has a small downtown area. The town park, “Whispering Willows,” is a gathering place for many events. The George Ernst pool is owned and run by the Conyngham Valley Civic Organization and is located near the park. A one-room schoolhouse, to which additions were added, now houses the Hazelton Public Library, Conyngham Branch. With the additions that were added on by the School District, the Borough was able to purchase the building, separate the two buildings, making one the municipal building and the other the library. Located on the grounds was the Episcopal Cemetery, which the borough now owns. There are not many municipalities that own a cemetery.
|Address ||Conyngham Borough |
215 Main Street, P.O. Box 442
Conyngham, PA 18219-0442
|Phone ||570-788-4385 |
|Fax ||570-788-0772 |
|Website ||N/A |
|E-mail ||firstname.lastname@example.org |
|Population ||1,956 |
|Square Miles ||1 |
|Name of Mayor ||Conrad J. Wittig |
|Congressional District ||14th |
|Legislative District ||116th |
|Type of Government ||Mayor and Council |
|School District ||Hazleton Area |
|Public Library ||Hazleton Area |
|Range of Housing Costs ||$70,000 to $350,000 |
|Property Tax Rate ||29 mills |
|Cable ||Service Electric Cable Vision |
|Gas/Electric ||UGI Electric |
|Water ||Conyngham Borough Authority |
|Waste Removal ||N/A |