Passport Information

Home » Luzerne County » Judicial Services and Records » Prothonotary » Passport Information

* * * * * * *


*** Effective February 11, 2014, the Prothonotary Office will no longer accept passport applications.  Please contact the United States Postal Service in Wilkes-Barre, Dallas, Nanticoke or Hazleton for this service. You may also use the official U.S. Government travel portal for passport service and information.****


CLICK HERE for Checklist for Applying for U.S. Passport


For the most up-to-date information on traveling abroad and applying for a U.S. passport, please visit the U.S. Department of State at


  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship - Certified birth certificate (will contain an impressed or mulitcolored seal and must have parents' name on it) from the State where you were born, a previous U.S. Passport or your Naturalization Certificate.
    - Please note that a Birth Notification or a Hospital Certificate will not satisfy this requirement. If you have an expired passport, you must bring that with you.
    - Certified birth certificates for Pennsylvania residents (born in PA) are available at the Pennsylvania Bureau of Vital Statistics in Scranton, PA. For more information, call the Pennsylvania Bureau of Vital Statistics at (570) 963-4595.
    - You may also obtain a Birth Certificate by utilizing the Department of State's website at and following the link to Birth and Death Certificates.
  2. Proof  of Identity - Anyone over 16 years old should bring a photo ID (with signature) which may include a valid driver's license, Federal or State Employee ID with signature. For requirements for children under 16, please see US Department of State website at and follow the instructions for "Get or Renew Passport" and "Minors Under 16".  Anyone under 16 must have both parents present.  If there are questions on this please call (570) 825-1770. 
  3. Social Security Number.
  4. One photograph - 2' X 2" in size, color photographs with a white or off-white background (NO School Photos). We take photographs in our office for a fee of $12.00.
  5. Applications - Applications are available at the Prothonotary Office or online at; applications should NOT be signed until you are in the presence of the passport agent in our office.
  6. Fees




Children under 16: If an applicant is under the age of 16, both parents must appear in person and apply on the child's behalf. if you have full custody of your child, bring a sealed and certified copy of the order providing you with full custody.

A consent form (DS-3053) must be completed when only one parent is present. A statement of consent by non-applying parent (DS-3053) may be completed but must be notarized with a copy of front and back of non-applying parent for which this form is used.

Updated Processing Times: February-April is the busiest time of the year for Passport Services, with Americans planning spring break and summer trips. The best advice is to apply early.

If you apply for a passport, it will take approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your passport. If you expedite your application and choose overnight delivery of your application (additional fees apply), you should receive your passport in 3 weeks.

For the most current information on processing times, please check the U.S. Department of State website at under heading "Application Processing Time".

Emergency Passport: You must be traveling within 14 days and you may have to make an appointment at the Philadelphia Passport Agency (877) 487-2778. There is a $60.00 expedite fee for this execution. You will need Proof of Departure Date (such as airline tickets, itinerary or a letter from your employer if it is a business trip).

Renewals: If your most recent Passport was issued within the past 15 years and after your 16th birthday, you may renew by mail. The instructions are on the back of the form. You will need two recent professional identical 2" X 2" color photographs with a light background. (No School Photos).

Passport in a Different Name: You must bring proof of name change (marriage license, court order for a name change, Praecipe to Retake Prior Surname).

For Further Information: You can call the National Passport Information Center at (877) 487-2778 or you can visit their website at for more information or to download forms.


Last Updated: 02/28/14 14:47:51
Luzerne County Seal