Courtroom Four

Home » Luzerne County » Courthouse Tour Online » Courtroom Four

The Judicial Virtues


A decorative panel painted by Kenyon Cox,
placed over the Judge’s bench in Court Room No. 4.

It represents, in a general way, the qualities which should preside over a Court of Justice. In the middel, beneath a canopy of crimson and gold brocade, stands Rectitude, with the builder’s triangle and plumb bob. She symbolizes, by her rigidity of attitude, perfect uprightness and evenhandedness. She is flanked by nude figures of boys bearing tablets with the motto, ‘Fiat Justitia Ruat Coelum’ – ‘Let justice be done though the heavens fall.’

To the right, Learning consults the Book of the Law; but Wisdom, with the mirror, bids her ‘Know thyself.’ To the left is the armed figure of Courage, beyond whom stands Moderation, with the bridle of self-control.

Note: At the annual annual meeting of the Architectural League of New York, held January 28, 1910, the medal of honor for mural painters of America was awarded to Mr. Cox for this decorative panel.

Walter Wakeman. Summary of Expenditures of the New Court House at Wilkes-Barre, 1905 – 1911. Universal Audit Co., New York, 1912.

Last Updated: 05/23/12 10:02:49
Courthouse Tour
Luzerne County Seal